Sunday 5 August 2012

Pictures of Burundi

It takes a very very long time to load pictures here and patience is not my strong suit but I will give it a try.
Above is a picture of David. He is one of the teachers at the Burundi English School and he has stolen our heart. He has one of the kindest hearts. As you can see as he is being tortured by Thing 1 and Thing 2. We spend almost every weekend up country sharing the gospel and he has been a great influence on our children.


I mentioned the bikes in one of my previous bloggs, but seeing is believing. This fellow has a load of potatoes. I am consistently amazed at what cargo and the amount of cargo people carry on bikes. It is truly amazing!!

This is my class when they spotted the monkey. They were so excited. If you look closley you can see the monkey. Pretty cool to look our your class window and see a monkey.


Many, including myself, have complained about our kitchens being too small or not set up right at one time or another. Well I would like you to meet Hilaire our cook. He puts out delicious meals every day cooking outside in this narrow corridor using only charcoal for heat. The food has been really quite good and we have wonderful fresh fruit with every meal. The kids have been drinking plenty of pop here, or as the Burundians call it, Fanta. Yes, I know we are bad parents but pop is one of the few drinks you can get cold here and sometimes you just need a cold drink.



We are happy to be done week four of school. Although it has been fun we will miss the kids. Erin suggested we try a game of Red Rover with the kids this week so we gave it a try. It was a hit except for a few injuries. Hanna scolded us when we told her and gave us a lecture that is was not safe game and banned from many schools. I in turn told her so is having kids kneel in front of the class and tweaking their ears. J

Megan has moved on to Greg’s class, as our class is too boring. She has fun chatting up the teenagers as Greg is trying to teach his class. Megan thinks she is above approach and just does whatever she wants and most time we don’t have the energy to control her. Jordan has started to join in on our class activities. Every Friday we divide the kids into 2 teams which they call Team Canada and Team Burundi and we ask them each 20 questions. Jordan was on team Canada this week and he would make his team give him a high five every time they got a question right. It is nice to see him come out of his shell. 

Thoughts from Megan

The kids are absolutely crazy because they talk a lot, some are very loud, and some are funny. The teachers are very nice. I like visiting with Kenny and David and Lionel. I like playing outside with Jordan and also hangman with the kids at recess time. I like the cook Hilaire and the guard Riviere. I often talk to them even though they don’t understand me. I told Hilaire that I liked his hair cut and he laughed so maybe he knew what I was talking about. When I am in dad’s class, I like to play on the kids cell phones.; I listen to music and take pictures on them. They think I am cute and Jamalia lets me sit on her lap.  
I like the beds that we sleep in because they are comfortable. I met the couple that live upstairs. The guy is named Levi and I can’t remember what the girls name is they are very nice. I like to play with their niece.

From Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment